Saturday, July 25, 2009

Thoughts On What God Has Been Teaching Me

God has certainly been teaching me a whole lot of things in my life. Or at least He's been trying. Whether or not I have been listening is a completely different story. I want to tell about two specific things that I'm doing my damnedest to understand and be obedient to.

Well, let me just say that I am one of the shyest people you would ever meet. At least if I don't know you. It's hard for me to meet new people. When I do I get nervous, forget everything I was going to say, and can't for the life of me think of what to say in response to something someone said. In short in social situations, with people I don't know, I don't do well at all.

God has certainly been doing everything possible to get me to get over this fear. For lack of a better word, fear of people. Tonight at church, yes I go to church Saturday nights, I went fishing. Now you might be confused, because this isn't the type of fishing you're used to.

Mark 1:17 "Come, follow me," Jesus said, "and I will make you fishers of men."

Basically, what I did tonight was went to church early, so that I could meet new people to our church. To greet and introduce myself to visitors, so that they might feel welcome and appreciated. I didn't have the opportunity to meet too many. But I did step out of my comfort zone and met three new people, and had what I would call a conversation. It's going to take some getting used to but with God I know I can do it.


There's one more thing that God has definitely been putting on my heart. It really seems so simple to me when thinking about it, but it's difficult for me to just sit down and do it. That is having a daily quiet time with God. Just being able to read my bible, to listen and pray.

There are a few things that make this hard for me. One is that I am also one of the most forgetful people you might ever meet. I'm not saying that it's physically a problem, just that I'm always remember things at the wrong moments. For example, I'll get up in the morning thinking I'll do just after I get something done on my computer. Then I'll remember I was going to say while I'm work, and think to myself I'll certainly do it after when I get home. But of course I get on my computer or watch t.v. and the next thing I know I'm going to bed and remember I'd still forgotten.

I know that's not what He wants from me. He doesn't want a forgetful young lady with the best intentions, that get her nowhere. I need to not only work on remembering, but finding ways to remind myself when I forget. If you have suggestions you're more than welcome to leave a comment and let me know what they are. What God really wants from me is to depend on Him. To give Him my whole heart, and not just when it's convenient.

These are two areas of my life that I need the most help with. But I know without a doubt that as long as I go to God for help I can do everything I set out to do.

Luke 1:37 For nothing is impossible with God.

Till Next Time (TNT)
Words by Ali

10 comments:

  1. Ali:
    Fear of speaking to others, whether one-on-one or giving a speech, usually traces back to self-doubt. You are (perhaps) uncertain, or there are points of contention that are as of yet unresolved to your satisfaction. Study, and believe in your conclusions, always allowing that anybody can be wrong. But stick to your beliefs, basing them on the best data available. I too am a Christian, though rather unorthodox. But my ability to debate, both formerly as an atheist and today as a believer, has always been due to my belief in my ability to demonstrate the truth. The more you use solid evidence, and the more you contemplate upon these truths, the better off you'll be.

    The memory I cannot help with, as mine works superbly, but I do not know why. Be well; a good blog.

    John aka mindmatter
    http://anewbeginning-mindmatter.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanx for the comment. It was very insightful, and I'll try to remember that. The odd thing about my forgetfulness, is I have an excellent memory when it comes to facts, and names, or when related to school, or memorization. I just forget to do things, when I should do them. Like my quiet times, or when I should take the dishes out of the dishwasher. That kind of thing, it's weird I know.
    But Thanx again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Ali,
    This post made me so happy, as it always does when God's kids are growing and getting to know him more. :)
    You are doing so great, trying to meet people and be friendly. It meant a lot to me that you came out to "fish" even though it's uncomfortable and awkward. Keep putting yourself out there and God will gently show you how to love people more and more.
    As for quiet times, I totally know where you are. The best thing I can tell you is this: have a PLAN. I'm sure you have a sort of routine to your day. For instance, mine is: get up, see Dan off, eat breakfast while I check my e-mail. Well, maybe I should leave a note on my computer that says "Don't even think about looking at your e-mail until you read your Bible.". :) That might help me a lot. Maybe you have a similar note you could leave yourself. Once it's a habit, it will be a lot easier to remember. Also, I don't know about you, but I find it a lot easier to pray when I walk. I have tons of suggestions on how to plan a quiet time, but in the end, you just need to make one. If you need more help, we can definitely talk about it sometime.
    I love you Ali, and your heart. So does God. I can't wait to read more about it.
    Love,
    ~Ashleigh

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, I am a fairly new blogger. I saw a post you had on the "coffee shop" page for followers. I am searching for followers of my blog as well. But what I am finding sooo truly amazing is that several of the sites which I have been drawn to in one way or another have turned out to contain blogs written by fellow CHRISTIANS!! This is both amazing and wonderful to find in this world. I will be your twentieth follower. Not a bad sign for a shy one. God Bless! http:llmoore2.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the comment, and I'll definitely go check out your blog. And you never know what your going to find on someones blog until you check it out. As you said, you could have something so largely important in common and not even know it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. also found you via coffeshop...nice post. visit me at 55blahblah.blogspot.com
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very Nice! You know, there's nothing wrong with being shy. I am very shy in real life, however the more I talk with someone the more I open up. It's great to hear people talk about their faith.

    Everyone forgets from time to time. Believe me, I have forgotten many things over and over only to be reminded by the wife. :) It's great that you are reaching out, I definately need to find the time to go back to church. I miss it, the music and the people are what I enjoyed the most.

    Feel free to stop over and read some of my stories, I try to make them very inspirational. I have a passion to write and the ideas just come like running water. :)

    My Blog is:

    Http://Writing4Heaven.Blogspot.Com

    Feel free to Follow and Comment. I'll become a follower! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm exactly the same way. The more I know a person the more I feel free to open up, and express myself. It's also easier for me to open up here, on the internet. Because I have the security of anonymity. But I am trying to get better at the talking to people thing.
    Thanx for the comment, it helped.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I swear you read minds. I totally feel the same way. I'm not a people person and I'm totally forgetful. I'm doing this 31 day devotional with my youth group (while my youth pastor is in the Middle East). When I was is church this morning I totally thought I was ahead on the whole ting but I was actually 3 DAYS BEHIND!!! Plus I've been struggling with this personal issue that makes me feel like crap and like I don't deserve to spend time with Him. Is that weird?
    Anyway,
    Peace and Love Your Blog,
    g2bhapi26

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's not weird at all. Sometimes I feel exactly the same way. It's like why would God want to spend time with someone as messed up as me. You just have to remember that God loves you for exactly who you are, and we just have to work to be more like His Son.
    Thanx for the comment.

    ReplyDelete