Thursday, July 23, 2009

My Job: A Source of Income or An Evil Plan to Drive Me Crazy?

Thankfully I didn't have to work today. It was my much needed day off. Since I'm a full time college student I only work part time. Even though I'm not taking any summer classes I'm still only working part time. This of course is of no fault of mine. There just don't seem to be any more hours available at the dry cleaners where I work.

Now the real enigma to my whole working problem is that I could really use the hours so I could make more money. Although, when I'm there I want nothing more than to leave. It is one of the most monotonous jobs I have ever had the displeasure of working at.

It's not so much that it's a bad job but there's only so much of going through peoples dirty cloths that a person can take in one day. All I want to do is to get down detailing the cloths into our system so I can do something else, but as soon as I get to the last bag or two the bell rings. Signifying that someone is either at the door, or drove up through the drive thru.

About 90% of the time those people are dropping cloths off, which mean more detailing for me. What makes it even worse is the fact that even though there is always someone else there with me I seem to be the only one helping the customers, and putting their cloths into the computer. It's more than a little frustrating. I know that they're working, just at something else. Yet, if I can drop what I'm doing to help the guests, so can someone else.

Sorry if this sounds a little whinny, or even bitchy. I've just been working so hard this past week. I've had to do basically everything in the store. Since our presser decided to up and quite without a word, my manager has to press all the cloths for the day. Which leaves me with just about everything else. I just needed somewhere to vent about it. Thanx for listening.

Till Next Time (TNT)
Words by Ali

11 comments:

  1. We're in the same boat. I'm a full time college student as well, and I'm taking summer classes. But I'd also like to work more but can't because my class is right in the middle of 2 work days, so I've been tutoring on the side after class and work.

    It's a great way to make some extra cash, and brush up on your skills (whatever they may be!)

    Check me out: http://girlaboutbusiness.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Girl A.B., that's actually a really great idea. I'll have to look into maybe tutoring people outside of class. Thanx for the comment, it helped.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Work: Evil plan to pretend to give us money so the government can not-so-pretend-to steal it. =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. super,
    go ahead with ur work.

    ReplyDelete
  5. change your job!
    although jobs are few in numbers now a days, that doesnt mean that you have to hate what you are doing!
    if you are going to put that much time and effort into something, why not it be something that you enjoy doing?
    just a thought

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would love to get a new job. Besides that what my mother keeps telling me too. Like you said though, it's hard to find jobs these days. On top of that it's hard to find a job that will work with your schedule when you're a full time student. I will keep my eyes open though. Thanx.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh man, I hear ya. I'm a full-time student too. While I know that I do need to pick up as many hours as I can get my hands on, I'm the same way in that, when I'm there, I just want to go home. Though I generally work with 2-3 other people at a time (I'm a waitress), 90% of the time, I feel like I'm working alone, because I seem to be the only one who does anything. I pretty much dread going to work, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know exactly how you feel. About a year and a half ago I worked as a server myself. It seemed like when we were busy I was the only one doing anything. It's crazy. Thanx for the comment by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Everytime, i get stressed out at work, I think of the number of unemployed who wanted to have a job so muchs then I felt better. be grateful for what you have.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, don't get me wrong I'm very grateful to have a job. I know what kind of stress not having one can cause. Someone in my family is just recently out of a job. So, as much as I complain about working there, I'm eternally glad that I just have a job. Thanx for the comment, you have some great insight.

    ReplyDelete
  11. We sound pretty similar, I'm also a full time college student and I work part-time as a senior camp counselor for the YMCA. I work with 5-7 year old kids. Usually, I really enjoy the kids and have fun with them. Occasionally, I think they are secretly trying to make me lose my sanity.

    I'm a new follower. Check me out at awkwardyoungwoman.blogspot.com. Thanks a bunch!

    ReplyDelete