Monday, July 27, 2009

The Line Between Fan and Obsession

The question here is when does being a fan of something cross the line into obsession. Is borderline obsession, really an obsession? I don't know. This could be with actors, musicians, t.v. shows, or for me it's authors and their books.

When I pick up a book I've already read before, because I absolutely love it, I sometimes wonder how many times do I have to read it before I become obsessed. Four or five times. There is one series that I have been reading since I was in High School. Now every time a new book would come out in the series I would re-read the previous books. There are five books in the series, so I've read the first book five times.

This is The Jessica Darling series by Megan McCafferty. They are some of the best books I have ever read in my life. She's an amazing author, and a really nice person. I had the privilege of meeting her back in March at the Tuscon Festival of Books, while I was in Arizona for spring break. I would probably read the series over again if I ever get in the mood to. Besides Marcus Flutie is my hero. If you want to understand why you'll have to read the books, and all five to truly understand. The first one is called Sloppy Firsts.

It's not just re-reading books that might make it an obsession. Cause the first three or four Anita Blake Vampire Hunter books I've read most likely four times. It's also that if I love a certain series enough and they re-print the books in a different cover, as long as the new cover is cool looking, I will re-buy the book. I like to collect the multiple covers.

I have done this for The Dresden Files by Jim Butcher. Artemis Fowl by Eoin Colfer. Sweep by Cate Tiernan. I'm also debating whether or not I want to buy the new cover of Guilty Pleasures, which is the first Anita Blake books.

Then there is one last observation to my obsession. That is the stickers in my car windows and the clothing that I have made. All but I think one of the stickers in my car's windows is from one of my book series. Anita Blake, Dresden Files, Jessica Darling, and more. Now the shirts are mostly just Anita Blake and Jessica Darling. They will have something to do with certain of my favorite characters, or a line or saying from the book. It's like this, if you see me with a shirt on and you don't know what it means it's probably from a book.

I'll leave you to decide whether it's become an obsession or not. I don't think it really is. I'm sure there's people out there who get carried away far worse then I do. Besides I'm sure some of you have border line obsessions just like me. You just might not be willing to admit it.

TNT,
Words by Ali

7 comments:

  1. At least when we obsess over books, no one gets hurt. Unless they want the last copy of the new Janet Evanovitch or JD Robb. Then it's everyone for herself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS -- Have you considered making your font larger? I can't use my reading glasses at the computer, and it's hard for me to read. Just a thought.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I try to make the font bigger, but sometimes it just comes out small. It's the site that's doing it not me. Sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Janet E. Can't wait to get Finger Lickin' Fifteen out of the library. =D Great post, Ali. =D

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've got an obession with drill when, i pick up my rifle to spin it i just get this really great feeling.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved this post! I have a married friend who I am convinced is obsessed with Kenny Chesney the country musician.She follows him as part of a fan club on the internet and goes to as many of his concerts as her husband will allow.And I too am obsessed with books by the author Nicholas Sparks. But these and yours are all harmless obsessions. Now if you become compelled to start "stalking" the authors of the books you read, then you should be worried! I will say though that I had to giggle at your compulsion to reread every book in a series when a new one hits the racks. This has never occurred to me.LOL http://llmoore2.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really like this topic. I am quite obsessed with books myself. I get picked on by my aunt who works at the library because I HAVE to buy my own books instead of borrowing them from the library. It is incredibly hard for me to part with a book because once I read it I feel like it becomes a part of me. To have to return the book would be like giving part of me away. Yes, I am aware I sound crazy, but it is the truth. I also read series of books I like over and over again. I do not necessarily collect the different covers of the same books but collect books by certain authors. My favorite of all time is Virginia Woolf. She was brilliant! Anyway, I could really identify with what you wrote and enjoyed reading it. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete