Monday, December 22, 2014

What Makes a Good Book?

I'm sure people have been wondering this for as long as there have been novels to read. And honestly it's an answer that changes based on every person that answers it. But I think there are certain things that are universal for all good books.

1.) An interesting and engaging plot.

2.) Well designed universe and developed characters

3.) Good writing

Now if a novel has ONE of the first two it may cancel out the good writing. At least in the world of popularity. In the world of avid quality readers it needs be be all three. Not to say that if you like a novel that doesn't have all three that there's anything wrong with your tastes. It's all a matter of opinion, after all. And this is my opinion.

So, let's start with number one. An interesting and engaging plot. We've all read a novel that once finished you think that the plot was so predictable and overdone that you wonder why you kept reading. It's the plot of the story pulls the reader in and keeps them there. Without that pull the reader looses interest so fast they may stop reading before giving it a chance.

Second we have a well designed universe and developed characters. Even if you have an interesting plot but the world is one dimensional and unbelievable it's going to pull the reader out of the story. That goes the same with stick figures characters. A character needs to be three-dimensional and well rounded to be engaging. A character should jump off the page, and be someone that could easily be set in the real world. Leading characters need to have more than one facet to them, like real people, otherwise no one would believe the things they say and do in the story.

Thirdly, and lastly, we have good writing.  Without the novel being well written the avid reader will loose interest fairly quickly.  I know that I have several times.  I find myself reading a novel that has a great idea and even an engaging plot, but because the writing doesn't hold my interest I get bored.
Now, as I mentioned earlier in the post, bad writing doesn't necessarily break a book.  I have read books that are considered bestsellers that have an abundant lack of good writing.  What people latch onto in these underwritten books is the good plot, and story idea.  I won't name names here, but if you know me then I'm sure you know which books I may be referring to here.

Enjoy your reading

TNT,
Words by Ali

No comments:

Post a Comment