Thursday, October 8, 2009

A Review: I Hope They Serve Beer in Hell

I know I've been gone awhile, but now I'm back. I've just been busy with school and not being able to think of anything to say. Or just because I keep forgetting, me the ever forgetful. Now that I'm back I hope it doesn't take me another month to post again.

When I found out that I Hope They Serve Beer in Hell was going to be playing in Utah, even if it was just in one theater, I knew I had to go see it. I figured I would see it then write something about the movie on here. I saw the movie on Friday, and before I had the chance to do anything else I found out that Tucker Max, the genius behind the book and movie, was coming to Salt Lake City.

Now I had a different plan. I would go see the screening of the movie, and go meet Tucker Max and then I would write about. Of course I didn't particularly want to go by myself, but I would have if I had to. So, I told my brother about it, and then he told one of his friends, who really wanted to go as well. Luckily, my brothers friend Jason went early to get the tickets. He got our tickets by 1:30 and the show sold out around 2:00.

When we got into the theater there was free movie stuff on the back of the seats. This included; a small bag with the movie title, a beer class title on it, a pen and beer opener key chain, a bumper sticker, and a strong band with WWTD? on it. That of course stood for What Would Tucker Do?

Now, I wasn't expecting free stuff so that just made it a whole lot better. Since I had already seen the movie, I was really looking forward to the Q & A with Tucker after the movie. How about my opinion of the movie before we move on? First, I have to admit that the book was much funnier than the movie, but I'm a book snob and I'll be hard pressed to find a movie better than a book.

If you think of the movie as completely separate from the book, it is hilarious. Honestly, I think one of the reasons it's so funny is that it's based on Tucker's life. The book is basically a bunch of different stories about when Tucker was getting drunk, acting like a complete asshole, and trying to score with women. The movie takes some of the funnier stores, and puts them together to a plot.

The movie, just like the book, is; disgusting, degrading, offensive, amoral, and is completely wrong on so many levels. None the less it is one of the funniest things I have ever seen in my life. Of course this movie isn't for everyone. If you get easily disgusted or offended, or think someone who appears to be nothing more than a sexist asshole then you probably wouldn't enjoy this movie. But for everyone else who can tell when a joke is only meant as a joke, and like this type of humor, will love this movie. Knowing me I'll probably see it again.

After the movie was over Tucker came back into the theater, for as I said the Q & A. It gave the people in the audience a chance to ask questions about the movie, or just questions for Tucker. Now I won't repeat some of the things that people said or certainly not what Tucker said, because I try not to use vulgar language on my blog. Yet, some people would say things and you can't help but wonder if they really expected for Tucker not to make fun of them. Some of the funniest things I heard that night were not from the movie, but from Tucker Max's own mouth. I swear the crowd was laughing hard after the movie, then during.

For anyone who knows anything about Tucker Max you would know that if you give him a reason he will make fun of you. There was one guy who before his question decided to announce that he was LDS, and went to BYU, I think he may have just said it to get made fun of because that's the only logical reason. Some people think that you don't have to actually do anything for this guy to be a jerk to you, but as of last night I can tell you that's not true. I think he's a hell of a lot nicer then people imagine he is. If you asked a logical, reasonable question, that he hasn't already answered, then he doesn't make fun of you.

My brother, Ricci, was one of those people. Now his friend, Jason, got made fun of. I can't honestly say I remember what his question was, but it was enough for him to get verbally abused. I wanted to see Jason get taken down, and I did, it made my night. Don't look at me like that, I am not being mean. Before the movie Jason was talking about how he wanted to come up with some crazy question to see what Tucker would say. So, literally he was asking for it, and he even thought it was funny. There was one thing that Tucker said that I couldn't help but completely agree with. One person asked him what he thought about Utah. Tucker responded, "There's too many Mormons." At this I couldn't help but think yes there is, and personally it drives me crazy.

Afterward he hung out a bit to sign some autographs, and take pictures. Of course we had to stay. This was one of the main reasons we even went. I got him to sign my copy of his book, and my brother had him sign his beer glass. At the bottom I'll post the pictures that we had taken, so enjoy.

TNT,
Words by Ali

Photobucket

Photobucket

Tour Bus

4 comments:

  1. That seems like an interesting movie. Glad you had fun, and hope you can check this out:

    http://dannysignifyingnothing.blogspot.com/2009/10/blog-upon-stage-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome back to blogging. Let me say I hope that you don't find the same problem I had....I got busy and quit blogging and reading blogs recently because we had illness in my family...when I finally got back to it recently I found I have lost almost all of my followers. They are still listed as followers but nobody seems to be reading my posts...it's like I'm starting all over and I only missed a few weeks! Hope you have better luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good post, and I like your blog. Like mom said, the long breaks can lose followers, though sometimes you just can't force the keyboard into submission.

    Tucker Max sounds like an awesome guy. Sure, he may have been a douche to get to the subject matter, but awesome nonetheless. I'll have to check this film out if I get the chance.

    Jenno
    http://lajenno.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. This book was disappointing on virtually all levels. There were a few points that made me laugh out loud, but for the most part, it lacks ingenuity or originality between the stories. This book is only suitable for those currently in college, wish they were still in college, or those who act like they are still in college. Insight and thoughtfulness, not to mention a talent for writing, are non existent.

    ReplyDelete